In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to mint your own NFT on OpenSea.
What you’ll need
- Metamask/Rainbow wallet (or another web3 wallet)
- ETH for gas fees
What is OpenSea?
OpenSea is a peer-to-peer marketplace for trading NFTs. NFTs can be anything from works of art to virtual land, in-game items, and other utility tokens. By collecting NFTs from multiple blockchains, OpenSea acts as a one-stop shop where most collectors go to discover and purchase NFTs.
How to Mint an NFT on OpenSea
Step 1: Connect your wallet
- Click on the wallet icon at the top right and connect your wallet. (If you’re using a Rainbow Wallet, you can connect it using the WalletConnect option)
Step 2: Create a Collection
A Collection is like a folder that allows you to group NFTs that are part of the same series. Each collection has a unique link that displays only the NFTs that are part of that collection. If you are minting a lot of NFTs for different reasons, creating a collection is a good way to organize them and also makes it easy for collectors to access. For example, here is the Rabbithole Quest NFT collection on OpenSea
- To create a collection, go to https://opensea.io/collections and click on “Create a Collection”.
- You’ll need to create a few assets in order to create your collection
- Logo Image. Recommended Size: 350 * 350 (Required)
- Feature Image. Recommended Size: 600 * 400 (Optional)
- This image will be used when featuring your collection on the homepage or other pages on OpenSea.
- Banner Image. Recommended Size: 1400 * 400 (Optional)
- This image appears at the top of the collection page.
- Add the Name of your Collection
- Customize the URL of your collection.
- Add a description. The limit is 1000 characters and you can use Markdown!
- Select the Category that your collection represents
- You can choose from Art, Music, Trading Cards, Collectibles, Sports, and Utility.
- Add External Links
- You can link to your website, Discord server, Twitter, Instagram, Medium, and Telegram. All links are Optional.
- Add the Royalty
- This allows you to define the percentage of secondary sales that you’d like to receive. You can set a royalty of up to 10%
- Once you enter a value, you can add a payout wallet address. Royalties are paid out monthly to the address that you list.
- Choose the default blockchain
- NFTs that are added to this collection will be minted on the blockchain you choose.
- You can choose Ethereum or Polygon. The transaction and gas fees on Polygon are very cheap compared to the Ethereum Mainnet.
- Choose the blockchain that is most relevant to your application.
- NSFW Toggle
- If your collection will contain items that are NSFW, click on the toggle. This will protect users that have SafeSearch enabled while browsing OpenSea
Step 3: Create a new item
- Go to https://opensea.io/asset/create. This page allows you to add information about your NFT and mint it.
- Upload the file you’d like to NFT.
- OpenSea supports a range of file types like JPG, PNG, GIF, MP4, WEBM, MP3, and more.
- The maximum file size supported is 40 MB.
- Add the name of the item, an external link, and a description.
- Markdown is supported in the description.
- Select the Collection that you’d like to add the NFT to.
- If you’re creating an NFT series with multiple NFTs that have different traits, you can use the Properties, Levels, and Stats options to include them. This will allow users to calculate how rare a particular trait is.
- Add Unlockable Content
- This content can only be unlocked by the owner of the NFT. You can add a link to a private discord server, link to the high-quality file, etc
- NSFW Toggle.
- Select this if your item is NSFW
- You can choose either Ethereum or Polygon.
- Minting on Ethereum is expensive due to the transaction and gas fees.
- Minting on Polygon is very cheap.
- If you choose to mint on Ethereum, you can only choose to mint 1 NFT. Minting on Polygon allows you to mint multiple copies.
- Click on Create.
Your NFT is now live! You can now choose to list it for sale. Listing it is free. Add the price of the NFT and sign a gasless transaction with your wallet to confirm the listing.
Congratulations! You have now minted an NFT on OpenSea!